Can taking Omeprazole cause heartburn after removal of polyps?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Since contacting you, I have had a complete gastric workup, including barium swallow study, EGD, and colonoscopy. There was no sign of Barrett's, the Nissen was still in place, and there was a hernia between the the Nissen and the GE junction. A polyp was removed during the colonoscopy. The polyp was a tubular adenoma, so I will repeat the colonoscopy in 5 years. For the time being I continue to take omneprazole by prescription. So far, so good. No more vomiting, but I still experience a day or two of bad heartburn once in awhile that I do not understand. as I really watch what I eat.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will take some time to heal completely

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'am

From what I read in your history, you have happened to have a very serious case of gastric hernia. The tubular adenoma in this case was found on a routine exam, and it has nothing to do with your previous symptoms.
I also read that your symptoms have gotten better with the introduction of omeprazole and a strict diet. This is a very good improvement.
Now, the problem is that gastric acid production does not depend only on food and medicine. The biggest factor increasing the production of gastric acid is stress. Emotional instability, problems, worries, overthinking and suffering affect your stomach in the worst way! Plus alcohol, chocolate and smoking will only get you worse.
I recommend you to keep this in mind. If you are experiencing a difficult time, then it would be very helpful to talk with someone. If not, then check the things I mentioned above. If you are not drinking alcohol, eating chocolate or smoking, then you have nothing to worry, it is just a normal heartburn do to the time it takes your stomach to fully heal.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T