Can switching between Synthroid and its generic version contribute to chronic idiopathic urticaria?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on 1 day ago in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My insurance co will not pay for synthroid which I have been taking for 37 years for hoshimotos thyroidiris. My original Endrocrnologist told me to never take s generic. My dr. Now will not write a script for the brand name. I took the generic for about 2 years and developed chronic Idiopathic Uticaria and am being treated with xolaire. I believe and my Allergist said my hives are caused by antibodies from my thyroid. I have been back on Synthroid for about 2 years. My insurance will not pay for it NOW and my internist will not approve a a DAW. Either that or my insurance will just not pay for it. Is it possible my hives were caused by the switch in medications?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The strategic approach provided.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me explain that generic medicines are supposed to have the same ingredients but are manufactured by different companies. Unfortunately, not all companies maintain equal standards and the sometimes the excipients may be responsible for the allergic reaction that you had. Such a reaction could be immune-mediated and autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's is known to be associated with such reactions.

However, you can rest assured that if you go for a generic now, you would get one from a different company and it is unlikely that you would have allergic reactions to this one as well. I would insist you to give it a try. If no problems result, you can simply continue with it and your insurance will cover for it. In the unlikely event, that you develop any reaction, your doctor would be able to document that you are having reactions to the generic but are fine with Synthroid and I am quite certain that with such an explanation the insurance company now would have a valid justification for payment for Synthroid and would oblige.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T