Can swelling and bleeding from the nose be treated with antibiotics?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, didn't realize there was a limit to questions, I would have worded them carefully. Can I open another question, maybe a second opinion?

I guess my main question I forgot to ask, in general is, looking at the picture here and from my other post: Is it likely to CURE this without oral antibiotics. The Fucidin and Ibuprofen works fine, the bump is smaller and the swelling is down, although not fully receded.

My reservation about getting more oral antibiotics: family doc on vacation, I took oral ab about 2 months ago for infection on arm and this week there's extreme cold weather -30+degrees. I would rather treat this at home, topically, if possible. Please let me know if this something I should be going to the doctor for.

Timeline:
1. Tuesday night, noticed right nose swollen, felt something bumpy near the opening of the nostril, rough top, hurts when touched, felt liquid filled. Applied Polypsporin.
2. Wensday, bump inside nostril much smaller, rough top gone or might be covered in mucus and doesn't feel rough. Used Fucidin instead of Polypsporin also Ibuprofen from suggestion from Doc here.
3. Thursday(today), bump looks smaller and swelling almost gone. Bump feels harder and not painful anymore. Had a nosebleed, happened before when taking Ibuprofen for days.

Thanks!
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The bump is because of the follicle infection in the nostril. it might be due to some finger prick injury or hair pull.
Take an oral antibiotic for at least 5 days.
Take a combination of diclofenac plus serratiopeptidase twice daily and apply Neomycin ointment 4 to 5 times a day.
Do hot fomentation.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Can swelling and bleeding from the nose be treated with antibiotics? 1 hour later
Hi, it's something that I need to go to doc for? Ok, I'll brave the weather...

(1) So the improvements that I'm seeing with Fucidin and Ibuprofen doesn't attack the cause? My nose is almost normal size.

As mentioned before I took antibiotics 2 months ago for my arm, Keflex for 10 days. And then a week after my last Keflex I had rash and some swelling on left ear, I was prescribed Clyndamycin, stopped after two 3 days, as advised by doc, because it didn't do anything for the rash and swelling and was more of an allergic reaction to some medication, Keflex probably. It got better on its own after 3 weeks.

(2)So it's not possible for this to sort out on its own without strong medication? Other than the Fucidin that seems to be working.

(3)What antibiotics do you recommend for someone that might be allergic to Keflex?

Thanks.

Hi, I went to the Dr. and was told it looked more like a Viral Infection. "There is no pus". Told me it might go away on its own.

Today I had another symptom which what prompted me(more so) to go to the doc, neck felt tight. Still does.

He didn't prescribe me anything for the nose, which was the first complaint, it's still a little swollen and the bump is still there. But it's not bothering me.

For the neck, he only told me to gargle salt water.

Canadian doctors go in and out too fast, I didn't think to ask him what is to be done with my nose. Should I keep using Fucidin, which is antibacterial and not anti-viral? Probably not, but there's still a chance that it's bacterial as well. So I am confused.

(1) What do you think I should do? He said Virus, you and few other online doctors said Bacteria.

(2) What harm can fucidin do when applied on a viral infection? Should I go with Polysporin which is less strong?

(3) If it's a viral infection affecting nose and throat, other than gargling salt water for the throat, what else can I do for the nose(and throat)?

Thanks and have a great New Years!

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
It appears to be a bacterial infection from the symptoms. So you need to take antibiotics for that.
Fucidin won't do any harm in viral infection. you can continue with the same.
In case it is a viral infection, you need not take anything else. You can take tablet vitamin c once daily and do chlorhexidine gargles.

Thanks and regards

Follow-up: Can swelling and bleeding from the nose be treated with antibiotics? 13 hours later

I think the red bump is gone and the swelling continues to be better.

This couldn't be viral? I will see the Doc again on the 3rd. If it's impossible to be viral I will push my Dr. to be more thorough.

I also added a new pic, are those white bumps on the nostril flesh normal? I have them on both nostril. So I can't tell if they're supposed to be there.

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the pictures attached.
The humps you are seeing inside both the nostrils are hair follicles. they are absolutely normal and there is nothing to be worried about.
You are always welcome with any queris in future too

Thanks and regards