Can surgical site infection cause fever, throat infection and dry cough?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Sir,
My Father's name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXX. He is has heart right bundle branch block for nearabout 10 years and asthma for 20 years. He is taking Calaptin 40 thrice, Cloptab75, Atorvastatin Caat 40 and seroflo 250 inhaler and asthalin sos.
Recently about 2 mnth ago he suffered accident and got trochanteric fracture near right femur. He undergone Femur fixation by zimmer company plate . He has no complan about infection from that part.
About 4 days ago my father is suffering from throat infection with dry cough not of much important.. Doctor consulted and given Augmentin Duo 625 twice for 6days and Levokast for 6 days. But suddenly at previous night at 3 am my father got fever about 102 deg with slight breathing trouble and also at morning 100 deg. Again doctor called for safety. Blood test done and Found Total Count increased 13400 (normal 6000-10000)
Platelet count slightly decreased 1,40,000( normal 1,50,000-4,50,000).. Neutrophil 75% (40-80), lymphocytes 21% (20-40), monocytes 1% (2-10%), Eosinophils 3% and Basophils 0%. ESR 20 in 1st hour(men <20). C-reactive protein 6.4 mg/L (normal less than 6). Malaria and dengue test found negative.
Doctor again prescribed LIZOFORCE-600 TABLET( linezolid) for bactereial infection and said that the fever is due to infection at operation sight. Is that really due to operative infection or due to cold infection and what 2 do? please suggest me.
Asked by Me , 6 minutes ago
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of lower respiratory tract infection is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No, fever is not due to infection at operative site.
If this is the reason than pain at operative site must present. So absence of pain at operative site rules out infection there.
In my opinion, he is having infection in lungs (lower respiratory tract infection - LRTI). LRTI can cause fever,cough etc.
He is also asthma patient. So possibility of LRTI is more in his case.
So better to get done chest x ray to rule out LRTI - pneumonia.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
yes he had pain sometimes after e

walk. few data ago sensed havoc pain
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does he have constant pain at operative site?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
I can understand your concern.
Please let me know
1. Does he have constant pain at operative site?
2. Does he have pain during movements or at rest?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions,so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj