• question-icon

Can sudden vomiting be a reaction to anesthesia?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
I am a 77 yr. old female who had surgery on the 4th and 5th toes a year ago. I requested from the anesthesiologist not to give me the usual dose, I am super sensitive to strong medicines. For 4 days I realized that my scalp was frozen, as well as my intestines. I experienced a sudden spell of vomiting, which happened again 2 days later. I was driven to the ER because I did not know the reason for this.
By now, I do know. Please confirm. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More info is required.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

So if I understand correctly what you want to confirm is the suspicion that those symptoms are due to the anesthetic used.
I am afraid that some more information would be required. You do not specify what type of anesthesia did you a have, whether epidural injection, spinal injection or general anesthesia. Furthermore the anesthetics used are necessary and their dosages, there are more than one anesthetics in circulation.

Generally speaking I am inclined to believe that the symptoms were not due to the anesthetic. That is because the duration of the symptoms goes beyond the elimination period of most anesthetics. However as I said more of the above information is required.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist