Can strong extended doses of Morphine taken with Ibuprofen and Panadol cause headaches?
There isn't much of an interaction between narcotics, non-steroidals and acetaminophen. If each doesn't do much to intracranial pressure, the combinatino won't be worse. In each of these drugs, they are safe in low, controlled doses, but in large amounts they become dangerous.
Morphine of course has addiction issues and increases in intracranial pressure with it are only found if the patient more or less STOPS breathing.
Non-steroidals might cause a bleed in the brain, otherwise.. not an issue with increases in intracranial pressure.
Acetaminophen in single large doses (overdose) can cause liver toxicity. But it takes a lot and at one time.
On the other hand, addiction to any of these can be associated with the development of a hangover headache.
What is your opinion?
yes, doctor is ...right...but...
Opiate induced headache... and opiate induced intracranial pressure are different. Opiates have a strong tendency to make people more focused and sensitive to all aches and pains. ‘All opioids (morphine) can cause headaches especially in people sensitive to them." (oh, guess I agree with that).
It's only when the carbon dioxide is building up from not breathing that the intracranial pressure goes up. This can occur if you give enough of any narcotic..it is a bad sign ...so... technically I agree with this.
BUT, I don't agree with the doctor !
1) Theres a LOT of reasons why people get increased intracranial pressure.
The diamox test implies a patient needs a shunt. Shunts don't help medication induced headache, but then, neither does diamox!
One can reasonably stop all the mediines. put someone in a dark room with sedatives for a few days and see if the headaches go away (they won't). Could even confirm that off the meds, diamox still does something. Then... what else would anyone need to be able to say the headache and increased intracranial pressure is NOT the drugs?
Scanning. You could also do CSF flow scans to see if there is a block in flow of the CSF somewhere.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Extended-release morphine dosing
- Ear pain headache taken tylenol excretion and ibuprofen
- Have tenderness in scalp and headache took ibuprofen cause
- Panadol helicobacter pylori headache
- Excessive drunk headache taken ibuprofen blood in phlegm
- Baby fever lost appetite baby panadol ibuprofen cure
- Headache under stress taking ibuprofen cause of headache
- Cause of headache and tenderness despite taking panadol and panadeine
- Can morphine cause headach
- Does ibuprofen cause rebound headaches