Can striking a heavy bag result in brain injury?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: For exercise I started working out with a heavy bag using boxing gloves and proper technique. After an hour workout I feel great/exhausted. For a few days after, my head feels a little odd - not a headache, not dizzy, but when I turn my head there is a slight, brief (few second) dizzy-like sensation. Is there a risk that striking a heavy bag could result in even subtle brain injury (e.g., a micro or XXXXXXX concussion) such that I should avoid this workout? I'm in excellent cardio shape and this exercise is one of the few I have found that really pushes me. But better safe than sorry - I'm 46 so I'm not looking to prize fight, just stay in shape.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No concussion

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There is no concussive effect related to that type of exercise, unless the bag decides to hit you back there (kidding) that is not a concern.

For the moment I suggest that you try to warm up for about 10 minutes before the exercising in order for the heart to adjust to the increased need for blood to your muscles. Also try to stay properly hydrated and increase your exercise time gradually in order to not put too much tension on your muscles.

If those measures do not work one probable cause is inner ear issues. Another possibility are neck related issues such as neck arthritic changes and insufficient blood flow to your vertebral arteries which supply the posterior part of your brain, with exacerbation from exercise due to increased muscle tension. So if the issue persists I suggest you get a cervical spine x-ray as well as a Doppler ultrasound of your neck vessels just to check. But probably that won't be necessary.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist