Can stress lead to irregular periods?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello! So I'm 20, and I'm a little worried. I'll start with some background. Back in 2014, doctors found a tumor on my ovaries because a large cyst on it was causing me pain. It was benign despite some iregularities. Initially they prepared me for the possibility of losing an ovary or both ovaries, but the doctor only had to remove part of the left. I was lucky, but I never went back to the final checkup because I didn't want to be examined down there again and I felt totally fine. Fast forward now, I have still never had sexual intercourse but I have done other things with a guy. Nothing crazy. I do have strong morals... but my period 9 days is late. My period has always been a little irregular and the past year, it has been extremely painful like before my surgery, I've wanted to see a doctor about it but haven't. Around august 14th I went to the doctor for a uti and they gave me antibiotics which I took for 10 days. My periods are usually somewhere around the beginning of the month. It is Sept. 10th and I still haven't gotten my period. I haven't felt good lately. No nausea or anything. Just like how you feel when you have a high fever. Sluggish. My left ovary has this dull and sometimes sharp throb constantly and I have a very small appetite. Nothing sounds good or I'm just not hungry at all but I feel so bloated. Is this concerning? Like I said I have never had sexual intercourse and there hasn't been semen anywhere near my lady parts so I know I'm not pregnant. I also know there are lots of reasons for a delayed period like stress. I just moved to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX august 10th for college and that was the hardest goodbye (to my family) that I have ever done. Then I ended up with that UTI Aug. 14th followed by hurricane XXXXXXX who came through Aug. 28th and tore us up. I actually went to the store and got super dizzy and almost passed out but I calmed my breathing and sat down so it went away. I think my iron is low in addition. My mom, grandma, and my sister are all anemic. I just bruise so easy for something like bare bumping into something that normally wouldn't bruise me, and I'm pale. I've been nothing but stressed and really down. Could these be causes? I will go see a doctor in person, I just wanted an expert opinion on what this might be first. I'm scared.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
menses delay

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, the delay in menses is most likely due to the stressors that you detailed. The hypothalamus, pituitary and ovary form an axis which works in close coordination for regular menstrual cycle. Stress can affect the hypothalamus and thus lead to irregular cycles.

Even though there is very little chance of pregnancy, a pregnancy test can be done, just to be sure and rule it out. Next, menses can be induced by taking meds like penorit if there is no menses for a further cycle. You can wait it out, try to relax and the cycle may restore without the help of the meds.

Penorit contains

Norethisterone Acetate
Ethinyloestradiol USP
After excluding the existence of pregnancy, 1 tablet of Penorit is taken on two consecutive days with menstrual like bleeding after 3 to 6 days.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil