• question-icon

Can stress cause oral thrush?

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I HAVE THURSH IN MY MOUTH NOW. NO ANTIBIOTIC, NO HIV, NO BREATHING TX'S OR INHAILORS. I AM STRESSED TO THE XXXXXXX AND AM CHANGING JOBS TO REDUCE STRESS PER MD ORDER OR MAKE THAT 4 MD'S ORDER.
I AM SWISHING WITH NYSTAT FOR A WEEK NOW , MY TOUNG IS NOT WHITE ANYMORE BUT IT STILL BURNS AND TASTES BITTER.
I HAVE WONDERED IF THE HIGH SUGAR FORM DRINKS AND JUICES IS MAKING IT HAD TO GET RID OF..
BUT WHY DO I HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE? HIGH STRSS AND TOO MUCH SUGAR IN MY DRINKS/
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, stress may cause oral thrush...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Stress is one of the main factors for oral thrush. Excess sugary drinks may cause dryness of the oral cavity. This is because sugar requires water for metabolization. And also, due to osmosis, the water from the oral mucosa gets removed, leaving it dry and sore.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Drink frequent sips of warm water
2. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables. This helps in boosting the immunity.
3. Continue with Nystatin mouth washes/paint up to 4 times a day.
4. You can try taking Vitamin B-complex capsules available OTC. B-complex aids in early healing of the inflammation and re-epithelialisation of the oral mucosa.
5. Avoid smoking/fizzy drinks/chilled beverages & food
6. Follow stress remedies as suggested by your MD.

If the burning of mouth persists you may require oral anti-fungal tablets under the supervision of your MD

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist