Can stress cause neck spasms?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: i have done this pretty well my hole life. I like twitch my neck muscles as well as pull my upper lip down from my nose because my nose feels dry my brother who has passed away also did the neck twitching . it does get worse when Im stressed . At times it just disappears and then will come back. I also push my shoulder up, my wife says the left one.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible movement disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.

The symptoms of the query are highly suggestive of a problem called movement disorder.

First, your shoulder issue. One shoulder higher than the other. It's likely to be trapezitis. The most likely cause is often stress. So you need to change the lifestyle. And try to reduce the stress.

Second, the issue with the neck. The symptoms are suggesting possible tics. They are sudden jerks that can be partly controlled and return more exaggerated than before and increase with stress.

I am going to need more description of the lip problem. I mean do you do it yourself or does it happen on its own?
If it's happening on its own, it is also likely to be a tic. If however you do it on your own, you need to stop the practice.

You will need to meet a Neurologist for botox injections. They should be able to afford you lasting improvement while the effects last.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible. Feel free to contact me on the subject if you need any further information.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana