Can stress cause forgetfulness and confusion?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: my husband recently had a scary incident. he was driving down the road and all of a sudden he became confused, could not remember names and really scared himself. it seemed to pass quickly and he got back to normal. he is 53 years old and active.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the episode repeats then it is good to do further testing.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

I read that your husband has had more then just the accident of today. But also the fact that he has had a lot of stress recently and the bad news of a family member loss, makes it justifiable that it may be a possible cause. In this case what he should do is to manage the stress with your help also. If that is not possible he can also ask for the help of a professional.

If the episode repeats, then your husband should see a neurologist and consider a physical exam and all possible tests that the exam will suggest.

Meanwhile, make sure he has enough rest and relax, drink plenty of fluids, and eats healthy.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T