Can steroids prescribed cause constipation?
it is not a known side effect of steroids
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic
Steroids can have varied side effects. In terms of the gastrointestinal system, they can cause nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite and burning discomfort in the abdomen.
They are not known to cause constipation though persons may react differently to medication this is not a known consequence of these medications.
Constipation can be a side effect of other medications such as nacortic pain killers, metformin, some blood pressure medications , certain antidepressants or seizure medications.
It can also be related to diet and activity level.
Constipation can also occur in (1)hormonal conditions such as hypothyroidism
(2) diseases affecting the spinal cord or brain
(3)overuse of laxatives
(4)diseases that can affect the movement of the colon such as diabetes and autoimmune diseases
(5)mass in the colon
If the constipation persists you may want to consider an evaluation which would include rectal examination, blood tests checking the blood count and ESR and imaging of the colon.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Constipation caused by hcg
- Can steroids prescribed cause constipation
- Does cashew cause constipation
- Diet for constipation caused by typhoid
- Constipation salmonella typhi cause
- Giradia cause fatigue and constipation
- Kegel exercises cause constipation
- Does tetralysal cause constipation
- Epidural steroid constipation
- Constipation causes