• question-icon

Can steroid intake cause depression and anxiety?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am taking medication for depression and anxiety. A few days ago my doctor (not the same one who prescribed my mood medicine) put me on a steroid to help with inflammation on my heel. Since then my anxiety and depression have come back. Will this go away when I stop taking the steroids? I am tapering off and should be completely off in a few days.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your question.

Steroid are notorious for causing anxiety and mood changes including depression. I would indeed expect your mood to improve after you stop the steroids. It you remain depressed for more than 2 weeks after stopping, consult a doctor to consider antidepressant medication.

Dr Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
I am already taking antidepressant meds. Neurontin, Lexapro, risperdone, & lamictal. Should I stop the steroids and switch to an inflamitory over the counter tablet or should I finish out the steroids and just deal with the effects.

In either case should I contact my Veterans MD?
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 30 minutes later
sorry.meant anti-infammatory
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 0 minute later
anti-inflammatory
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I would absolutely not stop taking the steroids on your own. You need to discuss this with your prescribing physician. If the two of you decide that the steroids are not worth the potential mood side effects, you will need to taper off slowly.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist