Can stents cause severe pain in the upper back of the left shoulder?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have recently experienced a continuous DEEP sharp pain in my upper back to the right of my left shoulder blade. It comes and goes depending on left arm movement. It radiates upward, at times, into the left side of my neck with it occasionally spreading, to a lesser extent, to my upper left arm. I had 2 stents inserted in my Anterior Descending (widowmaker) 6 or 7 years back. At that time, it was approx. 99% blocked. I am concerned that this may be associated with that. I have been self medicating with Ibuprofen 200 mgs every 5 or 6 hours in addition to my normal regimen of lisinopril 20mg, metoprolol tartrate 25mg & Rosuvastatin 40mg. I am 62 years old. How should I proceed? Doctor appt first or straight the ER? I am not sure if these symptoms can be associated with something else or not...
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 26 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Likely a spinal cause

From the symptoms you have described, the first possibility if of spinal cause. The likely cause is compression of nerves between the spine which leads to symptoms. So it will cause symptoms along the course of nerves like back, neck, arm etc.
It may be associated with tingling, numbness, needles and pins sensation. Sharp pain, increase on arm movements, further goes against cardiac cause. So I think appointment should do rather than er.
You ll have to get Vit D level, x cervical spine and thoracic spine AP/ Lat view and further may need mri if x rays are not informative. Till the time you can have tab neurobion forte once a day which is a nerve vitamin and diclofenac gel for local application. Also, if possible you could get prescribed nerve stabilizer like Tab pregabalin 75 mg which will stabilize the nerve and reduce pain. etc. You need to visit orthopedician for this.
Aren't you taking Aspirin as a part of your treatment, which is important to prevent recurrent attack.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad