Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

199 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can spitting up blood be harmless?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1754 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I just brought up bloody phlegm. What should I do no cough but a twinge in chest.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to have chest X-ray and if needed a CT chest as well

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it needs to be evaluated by a pulmonologist and may need Xray chest and sputum cultures as well as gram staining and acid fast staining as well. Meanwhile a baseline workup for coagulopathy with blood counts for platelets and INR needs to be done. A throat examination for local cause of bleeding should also be done.

If symptoms persist or worsen a CT chest with contrast may also be needed. Bronchoscopy at this stage may not be needed. Antibiotics like azithromycin or Moxyfloxacin may be needed alongwith expectorant cough syrups.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on