Can spinal fluid cause pain in the lower back and legs?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, My recent MRI revealed fluid buildup at the base of my spine possibly from epidural injections. I've had 7 spinal surgeries, last two hardware was installed. Recently I've reduced my opiate use by 60% from 215mg per day. When I had reached about the 30% point my lower back, leg and foot pain has increased by at least 50%. Would fluid on the spine increase my pain level. They pain I'm having has always been there, just more noticeable since the reduction in medication. Any advice would-be appreciated. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
MRI images or report are necessary.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is necessary to provide the MRI images or the report in order for me to understand better the nature and location of the excessive fluid in your spine.

If there is syringomyelia, or if the fluid collection is located over or under the spinal cord coverings ( epidural or subdural collection/hematoma ) and there is compression on the spinal cord or nerves, then, yes, this excessive fluid buildup may be responsible for the pain.

In such scenario evacuation of the collection may be necessary.

In the other hand, it is a well known fact that decreasing the dose of painkillers may favorite a non proportional increase in the pain level.

Waiting for the MRI.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 46 minutes later
Thank You Dr. Spaho. I will obtain an MRI Copy and forward too you. You have been very helpful. My Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Okay.

Detailed Answer:
Let me know when you have uploaded the requested files.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj