Can speech delay be linked to cognitive delay?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi. My son is 4 1/2 and just recently potty trained. He also began to speak in more than just phrases right around when he turned 4. When he was a baby he was delayed in sitting. Other than those, which are significant delays, he did crawl, walk, etc on time and otherwise a healthy boy, no vision or hearing problems, no major medical issues over time...He is active with no physical or behavioral conditions or autism spectrum from recent psych eval. She said he has global XXXXXXX delay likely due to his late speaking. She recommends intense speech therapy and ot for a few fine motor skill areas. She said there is a cognitive delay likely tied to the language/speech delay and said to take him to see a XXXXXXX pediatrician. My question is what could have caused or is causing these delays; do these point to something else as the root cause? And can I still close the gap so he can have a normal elementary school education? He is going to prek in the fall. Thank you. XXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can definitely close the gap

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
I understand your concern. I appreciate that you are trying to teach him and encourage him.
I have few questions and suggestions for you -
1. What is his birth weight and current weight?
2. When did he start walking?
3. Did he cry immediately after birth or did he require any special assistance to take the first breath?
4. How long does he see television or tablet or cartoons per day?
5. Did any one of the parents' had a speech delay as children?
6. How many words does he speak as of now- I mean his vocabulary consists of how many words?
Suggestions:
1. I suggest you train him in singing rhymes.
2. Do not use tablet or computer or TV or laptop for doing that.
3. Do not force him too much comparing him with others.
4. He will definitely get benefited by speech therapy, but before that kindly get back with the answers to my above questions.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,