Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Can spasm of the esophagus cause fainting?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
can a spastic esohogous cause fainting ive had the pain in brest bone area lasted 5or 10 minutes break out in swat i fainted both times the doctot did a nuclear scan and ok had stent put in november i was ex er sising when i got he pain i bee getting them before the sent the doctor feels its a spastic eshopagus i had something cold abou hour before i had gi serious have lap band ok now im going for endosicpic upper nowone knows whats wrong with me i feel like a time bomb waiting tto drop dead
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand the pain and agony you’re going through. You see the pain in the middle of the chest can be produced by both the coronary artery disease (angina pain) as well as due to the spasm (sustained contractions) of the esophagus.

However, the possibility of fainting is more likely due to the coronary artery disease. I feel that firstly the coronary artery disease needs to be ruled out by doing a coronary angiography/stress thallium scan.

Once the heart status is okay, then only one should direct one’s attention towards the spastic esophagus/GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). In GERD, there's a reflux of the acid from the stomach into the esophagus.

It’s important to rule out the cardiac disease first as it can be life threatening compared to the esophagus/gastric problem.

There are certain specific tests to rule out spastic esophagus like manometry in which the pressure inside the esophagus is measured along with the upper GI endoscopy to look for any ulcers in the esophagus, stomach and upper part of the intestine.

The treatment will depend upon the underlying cause. I sincerely feel that firstly you should see a cardiologist and then a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor