Can smoking Methamphetamine lead to psychosis?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: Some people seem to have fun and be normal when coming down from meth but me, when I do too much and come down I hear people talking about me calling me names I pretend not to here but also my motor skills seem to be off were I am not walking my normal stride, I feel like everyone is looking at me, and paranoid, that is not all the time but the times it has happened I can count on my hand. My question is could there be an underlying sistuation that I never got diagnosed and an intense amount of meth brings it out or is what happens to me a few times can all be blamed on my meth occasional habit. And if its all the meth and I stop completely will my mind revert back to the way it was before meth
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is due to meth likely

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Hallucination, delusions, paranoia , difficulty in walking are common intoxication symptoms of excessive intake of meth. You have suffered from the same. It is good that you have recovered every time. As such there is no possibility of any psychotic illness without meth in your case. But people who use meth and suffer from psychosis have 20-30% of more chances of developing psychosis.

If you can stop meth for more than 6 months and there would be no psychotic features we can confirm that there is no underlying psychotic illness and your problem is due to meth only.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.