Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Can small lump in middle and upper abdomen be symptoms of hernia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
Hello. My son is almost 2 years old. I noticed he has a small lump in the middle, upper part of his abdomen (above belly button). He is acting fine, is active and does not give any indications that it bothers. I am worried that it can be a hernia or something worse. Is this something serious?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be small hernia or lipoma. Detailed Answer: Hello, Such a symptomless small lump in that region arises suspicion of two possibilities.First is a small hernia or a lipoma. If on pressing it is reducing in size then its hernia and if it feels rubbery or slips under your finger then its likely to be lipoma.Lipoma is localised collection of fat tissue.Both cases are not much to be worried about.A clinical examination and if need soft part sonography can be undertaken for this. You can bring to notice of his doctor when you visit for something else.I dont see any emergency in this.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor