Can slight overdose of Paracetamol cause harm to a child?

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor...My daughter 2.5 years old was suffering from fever. In the morning we got calpol 250mg for her. Being in XXXXXXX the label said different to the measuring cup provided. Labelling said 10-15mg/kg per dose whereas the lid just had 2.5 & 5. I didnt realise the measuring cup was meant to be in ml. I just realised that XXXXXXX per dose for 2.5 yr child should be 5ml. In the morning i gave her 10ml paracetamol (twice the XXXXXXX dose) and in the night i just gave her 15ml (thrice the XXXXXXX dose) instead of just 5ml. Total intake today is 25ml. I just realized the difference between measuring cup and label....

Should i be concerned...is it harmful for my 2.5 yr girl..? Will it affect my liver....i am getting very restless. Should i take her to nearby hospital? Pls advise asap...
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Dose depends upon weight of the child , so please provide me the weight.
Toxic dose of paracetamol is more than 150mg /kg /dose.
Below this toxicity is less likely but you better be careful if you found something wrong like nausea and vomiting.

Syp. calpol contains 250mg of paracetamol in each 5ml and the dose 10 to 20 mg/kg.
It means that you can give 2.5 to 3.5ml for baby weighing 10kg.

Now you should avoid more dose, just do the cold sponging for fever till next 10 to 12 hours.
Hope i helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 16 minutes later
Thanks so much Doc. Are you sure, i dont need to take her to A&E this midnight? I cant believe i made such a silly mistake.

Her weight is between 15 -17 kg, when i weight her about a month back...dont think she would be below 15kg now anyway.

She has gone to sleep now (night time). After 1 hour giving the last dose (15ml dose). Hope that is ok. I dont assume her to be drowsy or any reactions yet...but if she has good night nap, i hope it will be ok. Will keep an eye out on her whole night. i wont give her any calpol tomm. I will also look for any other symptoms.

Should i be worried (considering her age, weight and XXXXXXX dose given in a single day (25ml) ?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
absolutly no need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
I can assure you there is no need to worry.
As you told me the weight is 15 to 17 kg, it means that she has recieved the dose in the range of 80 to 90mg/kg which is far below the toxic dose (already mentioned).

So i do not think there will be any problem.
Do not worry , take care of your child.
Hope her a speedy recovery.