Can skipping meals while on Diclofenac cause blood in the stools?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I took one 75 mg of Diclofrnac sod Ec this and forgot to eat with my stomach started hurting so left work and had dirrara my stomach is still hurting and have gone to the bath 2 more time and saw red blood not a lot but saw some just the same. I have a slight headache and feel really tried. Do u think this is because I forgot to eat?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, please refrain from painkillers

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic.

This may be triggered by diclofenac but it should not be related to not eating. Diclofenac is known to have an irritative effect on stomach and digestion and it may cause diarrhea with blood.

So it is advisable to take antacid medication along with it and eat something. I'd suggest now to rest, have easier diet, take probiotics and refrain from painkillers.

If blood in stool persists you should see a proctologist for further evaluation.

Wish you good health.