Can sinus or thyroid cause fullness feel in throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
I sometimes get a full feeling in my throat. Could this be a sinus problem or thyroid or stress? It gets dry also. Thanks. (55 yr old female)
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
acid reflux can be a more common cause

Detailed Answer:

The more problable cause for your problem can be acid reflux and use of a proton pump inhibitor should help. Dietary changes like avoiding spicy and fried food, alcohol, excessive tea coffee will help in this.

Stress can be a factor and so can thyroid disease be but your problem is occasional. Still getting a thyroid function test is usually required if there some associated symptoms of thyroid disease like weight loss or gain, loss or increased appetite or sleep.

Simple throat allergy can cause this and anti allergic drugs can be use for few days.

So, if proton pump inhibitors don't help, see an ENT and the further investigations can be done.

Feel free to ask another query.

Follow-up: Can sinus or thyroid cause fullness feel in throat? 5 hours later
Thanks! I should also mention an occasional metallic taste on one side of the mouth....I thought it was a tooth, but dentist found nothing.

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
rule out sinusitis

Detailed Answer:

Reflux can cause metallic taste if dental examination is normal but a one problem should not be there.

A one side problem should be examined for sinusitis also.

So an ENT examination should help in clearing many things.

Feel free to ask another query.