Can sinus infection cause extreme fatigue?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: can sinus and face pressure cause extreme fatigue and if so why
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello -

A sinus infection can cause both symptoms - sinus area pressure and fatigue. The fatigue in this case is due to the body fighting the infection.

Usually with a sinus infection that is to the point of causing fatigue, there is also a low grade fever, and infected discharge that comes from the nose or down the back of the throat.

Nowadays, doctors are strongly discouraged from prescribing antibiotics in the first few weeks of a sinus infection because the majority will resolve on their own, and antibiotics should be reserved for more serious infections (such as pneumonia) otherwise resistance develops.

Instead, irrigate with saline, and use a steroid nasal spray. Not at the same time though of the saline will cause the nasal spray to drip down your throat. Also consider a decongestant such as pseudoephedrine.

It's possible that the two symptoms (sinus pressure and fatigue) are not related. Allergies can cause sinus pressure, as can tension headaches.

About headaches, pain can cause fatigue too, via the nervous system.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.