Can signs of clammy sensation, weakness and nausea along with diarrhea indicate heart attack?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband suddenly became clammy, weak, had some diarrhea, and feels nauseous. He is 68 years old. Could these be signs of heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be an infection of the gastrointestinal tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nausea, clammy sensation, weakness can occur in a heart attack though diarrhea is not as common.

It is possible that he may have an infection of the gastrointestinal tract. Viral or bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract can cause nausea, diarrhea, weakness and a clammy feelings.
Additional symptoms such as vomiting, may occur, if symptoms related to infection. This usually lasts less than a week though has been known to go onto 2 weeks.

Treatment of infection of the gastrointestinal tract consists of--(1)holding off solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms eg no diarrhea , no nausea

When this time passes, he would first start back with small portions of dry foods like bread or biscuits.

(2)using enough fluids to replace the fluids and electrolytes that are lost

(3)probiotics can sometimes help as well. This can be in the form of plain probiotics or yogurts with probiotics

If he has a history of heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes or high cholesterol, family history of heart disease or he has a history of smoking for a long period- then he should be seen.
if there is any chest pain, shortness of breath or palpitations, then he should be seen

I hope this helps
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Patient's father (deceased in 2002) had open heart surgery at age 65.

Patient smokes 3 cigars per day. No signs of high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Takes Humira injections every other week for plaque psoriasis. Earlier reported diarrhea was minimal and no further occurrences.

We are in Florida for next 9 weeks (home is Indiana) so that's why I'm seeking your advice. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would be best to be seen with 2 risk factors

Detailed Answer:
HI

With a family history of heart disease and a personal history of smoking, it would be best for him to be assessed despite the absence of the other risk factors