• question-icon

Can side effects of Gabapentin show up at a much later time?

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Do Gabapentin side-effects, if any, can present themselves shortly after taking the drug, or can they show up much later? I began taking Gabapentin almost two years ago to address anxiety issues and, over the past three months, experiencing severe memory and cognitive issues. My psychiatrist is steadfast in his choice of the drug and he maintains that the above issues are *not* attributable to it. I'm beginning to have my dodubts, as I, I have read (on your site, and others) that Gabapentin is problematic.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can cause side effect in short as well as long term

Detailed Answer:

I do not think anybody can claim that memory loss and cognitive issues are not a side effect of Gabapentin. The side effects often appear in the early course of treatment but they can also appear after years of use.

If you go through the text, it is clearly mentioned that Gabapentin can cause memory loss. However, I would like to acknowledge that Gabapentin is not the only cause for a 61 year young person and I feel we need to look for other causes before jumping to conclusions.

I mean to say, rather than blaming or refuting out right, it is important to have an open mind for any information which is probably not done by your psychiatrist.

I also take this opportunity to comment on the attached image that such kind of propaganda has been there with multiple medications. There is enough evidence to suggest that Gabapentin helps in neuroplasticity rather than damaging it as claimed in the article.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 14 minutes later
Thanks!

I'll continue to explore it further.

I should add that the symptoms presented themselves following a hospitalization for symptoms that were similar to meningitis; although not diagnosed for same. The diagnosis was "dehydration" but I still don't believe that was the case. I was experiencing severe headaches prior. Also had infection in my ear that an ENT drained. Shorty thereafter the headaches (and extreme lethargy + disorientation) followed. Also also XXXXXXX view unlike I've ever experienced. Psych asked about meningitis, after I related this to him.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:

The described symptoms indicate more than dehydration as all symptoms cannot be explained on the basis of dehydration alone which include severe headache and extreme lethargy.

Although the possibility of meningitis is there if the symptoms are concerned but considering the absence of fever almost rules out the possibility of meningitis.

Although I must state that the presence of meningitis like symptoms is a more plausible explanation for memory loss and cognitive disturbance.

I hope this helps you further. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
I did have a 102F degree fever. Lasted a couple of days.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:

If the fever was at the same time when you have meningitis like symptoms, I feel meningitis is more a probability than dehydration. I must inform you that dehydration can cause some fever but it is never high grade fever.

In case your fever was during ENT infection, I feel it can be attributed to ENT infection as well.

I hope this clarifies further. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 13 hours later
Thanks, Dr. XXXXXXX

Fever developed ~2 weeks after ENT drained the pimple/cyst, or whatever it was. This was right around headaches began. Headaches persisted for a week, or so. One more item that came to mind: was given a CT scan, while I was in the hospital came back negative. Would that rule out meningitis?

a.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:

CT scan can identify all pertaining to meningitis but fails to identify encephalitis, a form of disorder which mimics meningitis and has almost similar consequences.

I mean to say that it can rule out meningitis but not encephalitis.

I hope this helps you further.

Dr. Ashok Kumar
Psychiatrist
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist