question-icon

Can shivering chills be a reaction to anesthesia?

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015
Question: I had a EGD and Colonoscopy done earlier today. I've been home now for about 12 hours. I keep having these shaking chills attacks (where your teeth chatter). They last 20-30 minutes and I've had them at least 4 times through the afternoon. Would this be a normal reaction to the anesthesia or the prep solution (Suprep)? I had them in the recovery room also and they didn't seem too concerred -just put warm blankets on me. I'm not running a fever and other than some continuing diahrrhea, not experiencing any other side effects. Should I call the doctor or is this normal? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Normal reaction to anesthesia...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in. At the same time, I hope colonoscopy resulted fine.

Now, what you are experiencing is related to anesthesia. It is a normal reaction. It should subside within couple of days. If no improvement, then, should call your doctor for further evaluation.

I advise to:
- keep warm
- consume warm drinks

All the best!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist