Can severe back pain, abdominal cramps and watery bowel movements during menstruation be related to uterine fibroids?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: I had my period last january 16th. Usually its 3 days, but this time its only 2 days. 1st day really heavy and 2nd day spotting. And then just this morning I woke up because I have really back pain, cramps and stomach ache, and I went to the washroom and I Poop, my poop is really watery. I have uterine fibroids the bigest is 7cm.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infective diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though the same symptoms can be related to fibroids like pelvic pains or compression symptoms or back pains etc and may also cause such irregular periods and are not of much concern at this moment as there wasn't any gross fluctuations and variations of one day are expected in such cases however the loose stools are matter of concerns alongwith crampy sensations or pains as it can be due to infective causes and any enteric tract infection or toxins exposure due to any food contaminants can trigger such bowel movements.

At this moment stool analysis, blood counts and renal and electrolytes levels may not be needed but if it persisted even after two or three days it may be indicated.

Meanwhile using antibiotics like ciprofloxacin alongwith metronidazole will be needed and anti spasmodic drugs like drotavarine alongwith OTC analgesics like acetaminophen will help. Probiotics XXXXXXX and oral rehydration salts will help with the lost water and salts. Soft diets should be ensured avoiding dairy products or heavy greasy meals or fizzy drinks.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 minutes later
Its always happening often to me. Last month same thing after 2 weeks of my period. I went to my family doctor she said maybe sign of ovulation. But this month its happening again
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is most likely due to fibroids

Detailed Answer:
Hi! I know it's unpleasant and uncomfortable for you but most likely fibroids have been the contributing factors because as you know the periods depend upon the inner layers of uterus and hormonal control of the growth during monthly cycle but in such structural conditions of uterus it tends to behave differently to Hormonal surges and may lead to irregular or early periods. Regards