Can sepsis occur after a tooth extraction?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,

I have to get a tooth extracted because they said the cavity is too big and the tooth can't be saved. Currently there is not an abcess but I worry about getting sepsis from the extraction. Is that a valid concern or should I not worry about that?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
root canal treatment or extraction, radiograph

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the decayed tooth is concerned, you need to get that treated as soon as possible because if it gets infected, then you might develop pain and swelling. The infection can spread to the soft tissues around the oral cavity(space infection). Get a radiograph done to see whether sufficient tooth structure is there to do a root canal treatment. if sufficient tooth structure is not there, then it has to be removed. So get the tooth treated either with root canal treatment or extraction. If you can upload the images of the radiograph of the tooth, then I can tell you exactly whether it can be saved or removed.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D