Can ruptured corpus luteal cyst cause miscarriage?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doc,

I am in the 5 weeks of pregnancy now. 2 weeks back I had severe pain and Ultrasound found out that its a ruptured corpus luteum cyst that was causing the pain. I have the pain now also.
Within 2 days of us finding out the ruptured CL cyst, I could see a gestational sac.
Now im concerned whether this ruptured corpus luteal cyst will cause miscarriage?

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone support advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your anxiety related to the issue.
Yes it can cause miscarriage because of progesterone deficiency and also because of irritation caused by blood in peritoneum.
You need to take tablet Duphaston daily till 12-14 weeks ( till placenta starts functioning).
Discuss with your gynecologist and get a prescription for the same.
Also take good diet and rest as much as possible.
Dr Manisha
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN