Can rerouting blood flow to other veins cause inflammation of the veins?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I am experiencing vein popping. I am feeling achy and tender to the touch around areas where this is occurring. I also feel a burning sensation. I consulted with a vein specialist who says it's venous insufficiency and wants to do a procedure to eliminate problem. She explained procedure shuts down bad veins and re-routes blood flow to other veins. question: If a vein is shut down and blood flow re-routed elsewhere won't that add more stress to the vein(s) it routes to? Will this cause a recurrence of the problem all over again to the new veins? I'm concerned this will be a temporary fix which will continue to happen as we keep chasing veins? Also, are there any diseases that I should be looking at, or tested for, that have this problem As a symptom? I'm somewhat scared of the procedure she's talking about and afraid of long-term effects. I'm 70 years and very active. Could this be the beginning to the end of an active lifestyle for me?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is varicose vein.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
As per your description it seems that you are having a clinical condition called varicose vein. It is nothing but dilated and tortuous veins mainly over lower limb.
Surgery is the only treatment option which can reverse the condition.
There are two sets of veins which carry blood from lower limb. Superficial and deep. Varicose vein develops due to incompatiblity of valves connecting the superficial and deep veins. What we will do is that we are removing the superficial veins either surgically or by newer techniques like laser or sclerotherapy, so that blood will flow through deep veins.
It won’t cause any stress to blood flow. This is simple procedure won’t cause any changes to your routine activities.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana