Can removal of turbinate bones from the nose cause pressure and blockage in the ears?

Question
Hi. 5 months ago I had turbinate bones from nose completely removed as my ears were blocking and full of pressure, my Dr said the bones were very enlarged and took the right out. He said it could take up to a year for the scarring to open up the ear tubes. So what I'm asking is , is it normal to still feel so blocked and full of pressure in fact my ears are the worst ever since getting the operation done , what is causing this and why ? I've no life at the moment because of this problem , can't drive ., can't be passenger in car as pressure is to much to stick and I've an ENT app this week at the hospital for a check up but really don't know how I wil travel to get there ,because of the pressure and pain in ears. I've been house bound since the op and that is not normal ?? Please help, thanks.
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation can help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. It seems that in spite of the surgery, the block has not been relieved. It is not necessarily normal but mucus block of these tubes could lead to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. Steam inhalation should help. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the mucus and thus should provide relief.

Please be patient. But if that doesn't help, the scarring might actually require a recanalization. It might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: Can removal of turbinate bones from the nose cause pressure and blockage in the ears? 34 minutes later
What do you mean by the scarring might need recanalization? What does that involve? I've tried steam and sprays and steroids nothing helps it

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reconstruction likely to be needed

Detailed Answer:
The patency of the Eustachian tube possibly has been lost due to scarring. Reconstruction is likely to be required and it is unlikely to heal on its own. Talk to a plastic surgeon about the same.

Follow-up: Can removal of turbinate bones from the nose cause pressure and blockage in the ears? 17 hours later
My gp doctor says it could be inflamed tissue still blocking my nose , I've an ENT app tomorrow at the hosp, if it was inflamed tissue how is this treated ?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Your doctor is right about the possibility of inflammation and its role in having a blocked nose. This actually refers to sinusitis or infection of sinuses, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.

Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink. You may take naproxen 500 mg tablet when required, in case you have pain.

You need not worry. Hopefully it would be get well soon.

Feel free to write back.