Can removal of turbinate bones from the nose cause pressure and blockage in the ears?
Steam inhalation can help
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. There is a thin tube on each side connecting between the inner throat and the middle ear (Eustachian tubes). The purpose of these tubes is to equalize the air pressure inside the middle ear cavity. It seems that in spite of the surgery, the block has not been relieved. It is not necessarily normal but mucus block of these tubes could lead to pressure imbalance leading to indirectly affecting the vestibulocochlear apparatus. Steam inhalation should help. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the mucus and thus should provide relief.
Please be patient. But if that doesn't help, the scarring might actually require a recanalization. It might be a good idea to get a second opinion.
Let me know if I could help further.
Reconstruction likely to be needed
The patency of the Eustachian tube possibly has been lost due to scarring. Reconstruction is likely to be required and it is unlikely to heal on its own. Talk to a plastic surgeon about the same.
Steam inhalation should help
Your doctor is right about the possibility of inflammation and its role in having a blocked nose. This actually refers to sinusitis or infection of sinuses, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.
Take rest and plenty of fluids to drink. You may take naproxen 500 mg tablet when required, in case you have pain.
You need not worry. Hopefully it would be get well soon.
Feel free to write back.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blocked nostril causes ear blockage
- Relief air pressure blockage ear
- Ear blockage after having an orgasm cause of concern
- Ear blockage causes
- Does crystal meth cause use ear blockage
- Ear blockage and high blood pressure
- Can ear pain and blockage be caused by ear wax
- High thyroid levels cause ear air pressure blockage
- Causes of turbinate hypertrophy
- Suggest treatment for severe loose motion
- Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...
- Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain
- Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?
- What causes unusual sweating?
- Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS
- What are the side effects of Superglue injection?
- Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth
- Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation