Can removal of chest lumps near the collarbone cause severe trapezius muscle pain?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Wed, 11 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: Two days ago I had surgery to remove a chest lump, outside on my collar bone. Approx. 8cm. Doctor felt it may be a sabacious cyst. I am left with an 8-9 inch left to right stitched entry point. Across my collar bone area. Soreness is expected however, I have a dibillitating pain in my trapezius area. Can that be connected to the surgery or post op? Also, Not sure why the scar area would be that large. Does the cyst root that wide?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The pain is likely due to inflammation associated with surgery

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

The contents of the cyst and the cyst wall needs to be removed for complete cure. Sometimes, it can be difficult to remove the cyst wall through a small incision, at which times larger incision become necessary.
Soreness of the trapezius muscle you are experiencing is likely due to surrounding inflammation at the surgical site and associated strain on neck, shoulder, and back.
You can apply ice to help relieve the pain at the surgical site.
Apply heat over the area of Trapezius to relax the muscles
You can take Advil to relieve pain and inflammation. Do continue Advil if you notice bleeding from the surgical site.
Sleep on comfortable bed and pillow

Hope this answers your questions
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T