• question-icon

Can reducing Duromine dosage control heart palpitations?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed 40mg of duromine by a doctor, today is my 4th day, I have had a lot of palpitation so my doctor has now reduced the duromine to 30mg, will the lower dose be less likely to give me palpitation (palpitations all day on and off on 40mg)
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes...

Detailed Answer:

although the side effects cannot be accurately predicted on an individual basis, it is indeed less likely to cause side effects with the lower dose. It's common practice to reduce the dosage when side effects occur either to 30mg or to 15mg. I suppose your doctor evaluated your palpitations as 'not very significant'. This drug may cause arrhythmia (which causes palpitations). So reducing the dosage is supposed to reduce the likelihood of side effects without significantly reducing the beneficial actions of the drug.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis