Can rabies virus be transmitted through water contaminated with saliva entering the eye?
yes vaccine must
Please understand that antirabies vaccine is not denied even if the victim presents late to doctor .
In your case , I will strongly recommend vaccine even if 4 days have passed.
Even this is as per international standard
If contaminated water entered eye , there is risk pf rabies .
You should take full schedule of vaccine as on 1st, 3rd, 7 th, 14th, 28th and 90th day .
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. varinder XXXXXXX.
risk is there
Please see that rabies virus usually enter through open wound on skin.
But it can enter through intact and normal cornea (eye) .
As you have said some water entered your eye, that water may or may not be contaminated with saliva so there is risk present even though it is little.
Second these days Antirabies vaccine are safe and rabies is a very deadly disease.
So my suggestion is that you should get vaccine.
Dr. varinder XXXXXXX
Please understand that rabies virus spreads through intact mucosa of eye and this is a scientific fact.
It is given in world health organisation guidelines also .
And given in standard medical college books also .
Now usually victims come to us with bites .
But i am again saying that vaccine is effective even after 4 days.
At the 4th day Antirabies immunoglobulin will not carry much benefit but vaccine is helpful and this is again world health organisation guidelines .
It is a fact that it is not possible to diagnose infection and when symptoms appear, it is too late .
You have low risk of rabies infection but as disease is deadly and vaccine is safe so why to take risk.
You have asked that if i have any documented proof that how many victims got rabies this way. I do not have any data but we believe what is written in our medical college books and WHO guidelines.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Varinder XXXXXXX .
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain and spasms in the rib cage?
- Is Benadryl useful in treating hives on the stomach as a result of an...
- Is short-term memory loss indicative of a transient ischemic?
- What causes a sharp pain in the lower body midway between shoulder and hip?
- Are bite marks on the body at night indicative of insect bites?
- Is Mahacef or Zenflox more effective at treating diarrhoea?
- What causes a watery and yellowish-brown color ejaculate, reduced libido...
- What causes headache along with the bursting of a blood vessel in the...
- Suggest antibiotics to treat acute bronchitis
- Is compounding sterile preparations of CoQ10, Shilajit and PQQ legitimate?