Can rabies virus be transmitted through water contaminated with saliva entering the eye?

Dr. Varinder Joshi

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in Infections
Question: Its been 4 days a stray dog bite my dog immediately I gave bath to NY dog but some water entered my eyes after striking him and also some water on mouth is there any risk of rabbies as I read saliva on eyes also risk if risk is there will now rabbies vaccine will work
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes vaccine must

Detailed Answer:

Please understand that antirabies vaccine is not denied even if the victim presents late to doctor .
In your case , I will strongly recommend vaccine even if 4 days have passed.
Even this is as per international standard
If contaminated water entered eye , there is risk pf rabies .
You should take full schedule of vaccine as on 1st, 3rd, 7 th, 14th, 28th and 90th day .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Take care,
Dr. varinder XXXXXXX.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Varinder Joshi 15 minutes later
I visited doctor he denied saying there is no risk you have zero risk he checked my eyes and mouth for cuts and told I m safe, also I was using a mug for bathing him and mni thinking too much
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
risk is there

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Please see that rabies virus usually enter through open wound on skin.
But it can enter through intact and normal cornea (eye) .
As you have said some water entered your eye, that water may or may not be contaminated with saliva so there is risk present even though it is little.
Second these days Antirabies vaccine are safe and rabies is a very deadly disease.
So my suggestion is that you should get vaccine.

Dr. varinder XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Varinder Joshi 20 minutes later
Ok if I take today vaccine thn will it work as four days passed also I want to know rabbies through eyes is very rare or common and is there any documented case thank you
Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
vaccine must

Detailed Answer:
Please understand that rabies virus spreads through intact mucosa of eye and this is a scientific fact.
It is given in world health organisation guidelines also .
And given in standard medical college books also .
Now usually victims come to us with bites .
But i am again saying that vaccine is effective even after 4 days.
At the 4th day Antirabies immunoglobulin will not carry much benefit but vaccine is helpful and this is again world health organisation guidelines .
It is a fact that it is not possible to diagnose infection and when symptoms appear, it is too late .
You have low risk of rabies infection but as disease is deadly and vaccine is safe so why to take risk.
You have asked that if i have any documented proof that how many victims got rabies this way. I do not have any data but we believe what is written in our medical college books and WHO guidelines.

Hope I have answered your query.
Take care,
Dr. Varinder XXXXXXX .