Can rabies virus be penetrated into the skin?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016 in Infections
Question: If a dog salva just touches the finger as it touched my finger with mouth didn't bite no blood came it has been five years still there any chance of rabies
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chance of Rabies

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Rabies Virus cannot penetrate intact skin . Mere touching or licking with saliva on finger without any breach in continuity of skin won't transmit rabies virus.Licking on abraided skin may result in infection ,which has not happened in your case.

The incubation period of rabies (defined as the interval between exposure and the onset of clinical disease) ranges from 4 days to many years, but it is between 20 and 90 days in three-quarters of cases. It tends to be shorter after bites on the face(average 35 days) than after those on the limbs (average 52 days).

In your case since no blood letting bite is involved and 5 years have already passed (considering shorter incubation period in case of exposure to upper limb),there is virtually no chance of rabies.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
sir incubation period may be for many years
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Incubation period of Rabies

Detailed Answer:
Incubation period of Rabies -as many as 7 years has been documented.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas