Can rabies be contracted through touch?

Psychiatrist
Question
I'm worried that I may have contracted rabies. I was at a theater with a girl, and we saw rats running around on the ground. Then, before we left, she touched the ground and picked up her bag/garbage. Then she touched her lips with the same hand, and a few minutes later we began kissing. Is there a chance that I could have contracted rabies?
This was a day and a half ago, should I try to get vaccinated?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no chance of rabies for you

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

From the available description it appears to me that there is no chance of acquiring rabies for you and your girl friend. Neither of you need any vaccination for same.

I take this opportunity to explain you that rabies is not transmitted by this way. The virus is inoculated by bite. Your fear is excessive and without any relevance.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Follow-up: Can rabies be contracted through touch? 8 minutes later
So there is not even a small chance that some rabid rat could have drooled on the ground where she touched it, then she transferred it to her mouth and then to mine in this way?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no chance

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Welcome back.

Please make it sure that there is no chance of transmitting rabies by this way. Fortunately house do not carry rabies virus and do not transmit by this way.

"If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health".