Can rabies be contracted from contact with animal blood?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Infections
Question: Silly question I know,

About three months ago I was walking along side of the road and stepped on or around animal guts. When I got to my truck I trough the shoes on the bed. I later threw the shoes away. The bed is covered so it is dark inside.

I washed it out but there are rubber mats inside.

The other day I had the bed open and it snowed in it, I through some salt in to melt the snow and it got all over my drive way. (liquid mixed with salt)

If there were any remains from the animal that fell off my show that were still there under the rubber and the melting snow caused them to run off in my drive way is there a danger that if the animal had rabies some could still be alive? or would time 3 months in dark but sometimes hot and warm conditions and sometimes cold conditions kill it. Just to be safe I dumped pure bleach on it and it is dry, but very cold out side like below 0, if i stepped in it could I track it in mu house and expose my kids to rabies, or is this just so impossible and I am being silly.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're right, no need to worry...

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through your query and the sequence of events, but let me reassure you that it's quite impossible to transmit rabies in such fashion. As you, yourself answered in the end, just no need to worry.

On top of that, the timeframe of 3 months make it just not possible to transmit rabies at all (as you may be well aware that the virus cannot survive outside atmosphere more than few minutes to few hours), furthermore, you've also put bleach on it.

So, I'd suggest not to worry at all and move on with your life.

Wish you a Very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee