Can psoriasis be linked to migraines?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Well I have a granddaughter XXXXXXX who is 5. She has been complaining of a headache severe pain in the evenings on and off for two weeks in her temple area. The family has psoriasis issues. We took her into ER and they told us to start with a few things to try- like no MILK. So we cut her off of milk. Since then she hasn't hardly had any headaches. Her sister is 7 and she had bad headaches-like migraines- also at 5 with a swollen knee. They diagnosed her with psoriatic arthritis. She was treated with migraine medicine and a drained knee. And she has been off the medication for 1.5 years and just has some achy joints once in awhile when it seems damp and some psoriasis on her skin once in awhile. Now at 5 XXXXXXX is complaining of some of the same issues. She is a sister of 4 girls. XXXXXXX has always had a issue of being on the chunky side -her mother watches everything she puts in her mouth and they exercise frequently- we just can't figure it out. I would say she is borderline obese. Her 3 other sisters are on the skinny side. XXXXXXX does exaggerate about things a bit but all of her complaining all of a sudden doesn't seem right and we don't want to miss anything. She recently complained of a few dizzy spells and sore neck. The school just called because she had two swollen white fingers that she couldn't bend- (they were not outside at all today- it is -10 here today) I went to the school to check her out because I work close to the school. By the time I got there they were just a bit swollen but not white. She said they were a little sore to bend. The teacher said they were really white and puffy a bit ago. I brought her home but she could of certainly of stayed. She didn't eat anything different for lunch. My daughter -(XXXX mom) has hypothyroidism too. They tested XXXXXXX and she doesn't have that. We just can't figure out what could be wrong with her. The symptoms come and go but are extreme when she gets them and she has always been chunky no matter what we try with her.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
She needs work up for psoriatic arthritis please

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. I have gone through the details which you have provided thoroughly.

Some points of clinical interest which I found in the history, which are pertinent to XXXXXXX

1. Strong family history of Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, with immediate family members being affected.

2. Female gender.

3. Presence of swollen fingers which were so swollen that they were almost white.

4. intermittent headaches which are very much suggestive of migraine.

5. Dizzy spells and sore neckagain, which point out towards cervical spine involvement.

Facts -

1. This is not related to hypothyroidism.

2. This is not related to food.

Suggestions -

1. She will require evaluation and follow up for psoriatic arthritis. You need to be on the lookout for nail malformations, skin changes and especially intermittent joint symptoms which can make the child very irritable when the symptoms set in.

2. The joint symptoms in psoriatic arthritis can sometimes be of so rapid onset and rapid improvement that we may not even notice that it has happened. The only thing which will remain will be the child's complaint that it had occurred.

3. I am usually a very keen observer of Child Psychology when a kid vocalises his/her problems by self. But in XXXX case I feel that she is not over exaggerating the symptoms as such, when we observe it from the disease point of you.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,