Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Can proton pump inhibitors cause kidney damage?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 1590 Questions
I am a 41 year old male in good health. I have GERD from which I have taken Proton pump inhibitors since 2005. I am concerned about the possibility of developing kidney damage due to long term use. Last urinalysis was normal XXXXXXX 2017. My question is: Is it safe to use Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mgs twice a day for long term such as years? Thanks, David
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
H2 blocker are less toxic for kidney but effectivity in controlling symptoms of GERD is also less as compared to PPI's.
If you feel relieved on taking ranitidine or famotidine you can switch over to it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Sorry for a bit delayed reply.
I have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns,
As per your query answer is-
PPI and H2 blocker both in long term can result in chronic kidney diseases however the risk with ppi's is almost 30-35% more as compared to ranitidine or other H2 blockers.

So my suggestion is that if you feel relieved even on ranitidine(effectivity on GERD is less then PPi) you can take it twice daily.
Monitor your serum urea and creatinine every 12 months with glomerular filteration rate.
In case you GFR and Serum creatinine are normal you can even take PPI's for long periods(however frequent monitoring 6 monthly should be done).

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor