Can proton pump inhibitors cause kidney damage?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am a 41 year old male in good health. I have GERD from which I have taken Proton pump inhibitors since 2005. I am concerned about the possibility of developing kidney damage due to long term use. Last urinalysis was normal XXXXXXX 2017. My question is: Is it safe to use Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mgs twice a day for long term such as years? Thanks, David
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
H2 blocker are less toxic for kidney but effectivity in controlling symptoms of GERD is also less as compared to PPI's.
If you feel relieved on taking ranitidine or famotidine you can switch over to it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Sorry for a bit delayed reply.
I have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns,
As per your query answer is-
PPI and H2 blocker both in long term can result in chronic kidney diseases however the risk with ppi's is almost 30-35% more as compared to ranitidine or other H2 blockers.

So my suggestion is that if you feel relieved even on ranitidine(effectivity on GERD is less then PPi) you can take it twice daily.
Monitor your serum urea and creatinine every 12 months with glomerular filteration rate.
In case you GFR and Serum creatinine are normal you can even take PPI's for long periods(however frequent monitoring 6 monthly should be done).

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards.