Can protein shakes cause loss of sexual prowess and reduction in testicle size?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Men's Health
Question: hey actually i am 20 year old male and i started taking protein shakes. For 2-3 months i was really
impressed as i was getting good results but later i started feeling that i am losing my sexual power as my testicals started getting small. Also i am facing constipation. what could be the reason? i feel like that my gym instructor mixed steroids in my protein.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very likely dexona mixed whey.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks or choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have seen your details.
Firstly whey protein are just simplified fast acting protein so never expect magic from them however the symptoms you are having and your fast gains are suggestive of adulteration.
Most of the times whey proteins are adulterated by dexona powder(impressed as i was getting good results) this is one of the main sign of adulteration by steroids.Person usually see good and fast effects initially however with in few months side effects starts.
Most likely you were having contaminated whey proteins.
Get these tests done-
Serum cortisol.
serum testosterone.
From next time when ever you buy whey take it to a pathology and get it checked for proteins(this test would cost you hardly 10 dollars).
Take whey protein in a test tube and add biuret reagent if it changes color its protein.
Never buy whey from trainer.
Beware whenever results are very fast(there is no short cut).
Regards and follow up with reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 minutes later
is it erectile dysfunction? have i permanently lost my sex power? or I can get it back? because it was only the one box that i purchased from a trainer. is there any natural method to release steroid from my body?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fully reversible.Professional use to take them.
Detailed Answer:
Even if its steroid its not permanent.
Firstly we have to check level of these hormones in your body(lets first be sure if its steroid or not).
1 box means 2 lbs of steroid(thats more then enough my friend).However this can be reversed.You must have heard that professional body builders use to take steroids and are potent also.
So don't worry once we are sure its due to steroid abuse we can follow cycles for that.
regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 minutes later
Isnt there any natural way for removing it from body? if you could tell some natural ways I'll do that until i get reports. and could it be something other than dexona? like winstrol or some other thing?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
See mechanism is there is a small thing called pituitary in your brain when ever your body is low in testosterone brain signals pituitary to allow testis to secrete testosterone.This is done via messenger called testosterone releasing hormone.
Now when testosterone or other steroids are taken externally in large quantity brain stops directing pituitary to release testosterone(as already large amount is available).Slowly and slowly brain forgets how to stimulate pituitary as a result of which even when external source is withdrawn brain never commands pituitary hence no testosterone is released.
Whether it could be done naturally or not depends on hormonal level.
You have to take treatment under a endocrinologist.
There are a number of steroids and other stuff available in market.
But very likely they use anabolic steroids for contamination and fast results.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 minutes later
but i am really worried. is treatment expensive? and are you sure that its fully reversible?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
If its due to steroid abuse or hormonal problem its reversible.
No not that much expensive.
You must be having insurance?
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 minutes later
actually right now I am in a foreign country. I'll go back to my country after 6 months. Is it ok if i get it checked at that time or as soon as possible? because here treatment is expensive
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Got it,
Get these tests done-
Serum cortisol
Serum testosterone
And revert back to me after reports are with you.
No need to consult a doctor there.

Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 minutes later
sure thankyou
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Regards.
Do rate answer if you were helped.