Can prostatitis affect an STD test result for chlamydia or gonorrhea?

Question
If you have prostatitis would that affect an std test for cylamedia or ghonoreah to come up positive even if you dont have an std?
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can cross react with other infections caused by the different species

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though the specificity is over 85 percent and in value of diagnostics it is quite high but still false negatives specially in the cases with concommitant urogenital infections like you have mentioned but serologies also tend to remain positive even after clearance of primary infection. It's better to get a urine and semen culture too and consult a urologist for further management.

Hope this has answered your query. if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Can prostatitis affect an STD test result for chlamydia or gonorrhea? 7 hours later
I dont believe you answered me question if i dont habe an std but i have prostitis can it come up positive for std because the test mistakes prostitis as an std

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can come falsely positive

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Let me clarify more. By urogenital infections I meant, any infection in genital or urinary tract means prostate is included in it. With prosatits results can come falesly positive. I tried to explain the percentages in which one can expect test to come falsely positive and with genital infections false positive rate is very high. Means it possible that you don't have STD but you test positive. Regards