Can prolonged use of Amoxicillin cause crystaluria?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Thu, 12 Jan 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Good morning.. I have been on Amoxicillin for 17 days total now for bronchitis. First 10 days was 500mg 3x day. Last 7 days was Amoxicillin / clav K 825/125 twice a day.. Past 4 days I have had uncomfortable urinating.. Slight burning.. I was checked for uti today and negative... Wbc was also negative.. I have read that Amoxicillin may form crystals in urine contributing to urine issues.. Can you help explain this
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very rare case.

Detailed Answer:
Crystaluria because of amoxacillin is very rare. And is seen in intravenous administration of the medicine not the oral medicine. You symptoms doesn't seems to be due to the crystaluria.

Burning feeling could be due to skin irritation side effect of amoxacillin.
Have plenty of water and other fluids Which will help in early elimination of the drug from the body.

Any query do follow up.
take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 6 minutes later
How long does it take to rid body of medicine?
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take 48 to 72 hours.

Detailed Answer:
It will usually take 48 to 72 hours to eliminate from the body but in your case you have taken the treatment for long time hence it may take couple of more days.

Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 23 hours later
Just another quick question.. Is it possible I could have yeast infection due to prolonged usage of antibiotics?? Symptoms are burning and slight itching at head of penis..
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
very rare case.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.
I'm sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes fungal infection is seen in long term antibiotics like more than a month. But in your case least possible about fungal infection. For itching you can use any over counter available antihistamines like bromepheniramine , cetirizine (Zyrtec), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), clemastine (Tavist), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), fexofenadine (Allegra),

You can take any of the above medicine for 5 days every night.

Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 8 hours later
Can the fungal infection be internal? I don't have any rash on outside, there is no discharge of any kind either.. Just annoying burning on tip of penis between urinating.. But as u said before it may just be the ridding of the Amoxicillin from my body?? Today at 5pm it will be 72 hours since last dosing.. Should I wait longer before making appointment with primary care? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ya wait for 2 more days.

Detailed Answer:
Burning penile head usually is a cause of Urinary tract infection or urethritis. In your case as UTI is ruled out there are chances of urethritis. Urethritis generally caused by sexual transmission.

Are you sexually active? If so then You would then be best advised to attend your local NHS genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic.
They are usually situated in the vicinity of the local hospital, near to the microbiology laboratory facilities, so that a fast, accurate diagnosis of the condition can be achieved and the appropriate treatment dispensed straight away whenever possible.

They have an open-access appointment policy and are open up to six days a week at set times.

They will almost certainly want to treat your partner too and to trace any other sexual contacts either of you may have had recently depending on the nature of the problem.

They will only communicate the details to your GP with your consent.
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 7 hours later
Not sexually active.. Married with kids.. I have no other symptoms of std.. No discharge of any kind, etc.. I'll just give it a couple more days...
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give couple more days.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

If you are sexually not active then STD is also ruled out. Just try using the previously said medicines. For at least 2 to 3 days.

For itching you can use any over counter available antihistamines like bromepheniramine , cetirizine (Zyrtec), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), clemastine (Tavist), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), fexofenadine (Allegra).

If Hydrocortisone 1% cream is available over the counter then apply it 2 times a day.

Still the symptoms persists then meet your doctor after 2 days.