question-icon

Can prolonged standing cause swelling in the legs?

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
Question: I've been working long hours 16+ sometimes been doing that for almost 8 months now, I'm mostly standing for that time, I'm 43 and recently I've been noticing my lower legs are swelling up (calf down). It's starting to concern me. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Dependent Edema. Keep legs elevated on pillows in between.

Detailed Answer:

Swelling of the legs is a very common occurance after prolonged standing or sitting due to decrease venous action.

I hope you are not suffering from High Blood pressure or cardiac problem.

There are two ways which can help you reduce the swelling.

1. Use Compression stockings in the morning after getting ready and remove them at night.

The problem is it is very difficult to wear and normal muscle function is impeded.

2. The best option in my opinion is to lie down in between work with legs elevated on pillow for 30 min to 60 min.

The frequency of rest will depend on the problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon