Can prolonged standing cause swelling in the legs?
Dependent Edema. Keep legs elevated on pillows in between.
Swelling of the legs is a very common occurance after prolonged standing or sitting due to decrease venous action.
I hope you are not suffering from High Blood pressure or cardiac problem.
There are two ways which can help you reduce the swelling.
1. Use Compression stockings in the morning after getting ready and remove them at night.
The problem is it is very difficult to wear and normal muscle function is impeded.
2. The best option in my opinion is to lie down in between work with legs elevated on pillow for 30 min to 60 min.
The frequency of rest will depend on the problem.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Developed tingling in leg when standing underlying cause
- Effects of prolong standing of urine
- What virus cause blotchy legs standing
- Leg swelling and pain after continuous standing
- Severe leg swelling causes
- Leg swelling and redness causes
- Have swelling in the leg due to continuous standing
- What causes difficulty in standing and weakness in legs
- Kidney causing leg swelling
- Are prolonged standing symptoms of sacroiliitis?
- Suggest treatment for electric pulsation sensation near the shoulder blade
- What causes swelling and bruising in the knee after a fall?
- What does the following knee MRI report indicate?
- Is intramedullary nailing an effective treatment for displaced tibial...
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the thighs
- Suggest treatment for swelling and numbness in the finger after injury
- What causes severe leg weakness and increased BP while on Amlodipine?
- Suggest treatment for swelling and bruising on top of the foot
- Suggest treatment for severe pain and muscle weakness
- What do these following MRI findings indicate?