Can processed milk powders be given to an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 6 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,

My son is 1 year old now. Is it safe to give him processed milk powders like NAN ?few weeks back i started giving him with the packet milk (cow) .. the digestion was normal.. but off late reddish rashes appeared on his cheeks and thighs.. so i discontinued giving him that milk and now his skin is clear. Is he allergic to milk?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Milk allergy is a possibility. Need not give processed milk.Give semisolids

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

You can give processed milk powders like NAN Pro 2 safely to a child of 1 year of age (to make it age appropriate) not taking any allergy in consideration. But please note that most of formula milks including NAN, are cow milk based and hence difficult for a child to digest.

There is indeed a possibility of cow milk allergy since you mentioned that the rashes which disappeared after withdrawing cow milk. But please note that such allergy may not be lifelong and you may try giving diluted cow milk later and see if it is tolerated. In that case, I would not recommend going in for processed milk powders like NAN Pro, moreso because milk is not essential at this age.

At this age, the child basically needs a mashed version of adult food low on spices. Milk is just an optional component now. You may offer him foods like mashed rice with curd, dal, khichdi or any seasonal vegetables and fruit. Include a variety of soft finger foods as well as smooth purees.

This is also the time to start offering him finger foods such as:
sticks of well-cooked carrot.
bite sized pieces of soft fleshy fruits such as
1.muskmelon, watermelon, cheeku, ripe papaya, pear, XXXXXXX or banana, slices of cucumber, apple. You can give them in grated form but do not boil them.
2.unsalted breadsticks
3.boiled potato wedges
4.small pieces of paneer
5.toast

This will help your baby get used to feeding himself.
You can introduce him to:
1.soft well cooked pasta shapes
2.bite sized steamed vegetables - such as peas (matar), beans (been), cauliflower, carrot
3.breads (avoid granary or multigrain breads for now because the hard pieces may increase the risk of choking)
4.bite sized pieces of paranthas and chapatis
5.besan cheela, moong dal cheela.
6.small cubes or pieces of cheese or paneer
7.lentils and other cooked pulses.
8.soft, cooked lean meat, chicken nuggets
9.puffed rice.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
thank you doc for the reply. I was told by many that milk is a very essential part of diet for a 1 year old child. That is why I consulted you. So I can conclude that milk is not required now. I have already started at the age of 8months all the other food stuffs as mentioned
whebn should i start giving him milk?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The nutrients of milk are essential, not milk itself

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Let me reframe what others say. Milk contains essential nutrients that the child of this age needs. But if you can give a otherwise nutritive diet, the child automatically gets the nutrients from them. Just give a nutritious diet to your child and things would be fine.

If you found my answer to be helpful, I would request you to close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.

Wish you and your family health.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju