Can pregnancy occur 3 months postpartum while experiencing missed periods?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Dr, I need ans to few of my queries. Request you to please provide me with the possible solution. I had unprotected intercourse with my wife last night. She is currently breastfeeding my 3 months old daughter. Last month she had her periods. But this month her probable date was 29th XXXXXXX which she has missed. Questions- 1. Can she get pregnant? 2. If yes we will get to know after how many days? 3. Can my wife take unwanted 72 while breastfeeding? 4. If not, what shall I do to prevent her getting pregnant now?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Chances of pregnancy, e.c. pills are ok. IUCD advisable

Detailed Answer:

First of all, do not panic.

1. You are right in thinking about pregnancy, with unprotected sexual activity.

As you might be aware that in a woman who is breastfeeding her child and is not yet started getting her regular menstrual cycle, can still ovulate and can get pregnant with unprotected sexual activity.

2. Secondly, in such situation, you can get morning's first sample of urine tested for pregnancy at least 15 days after your last episode of unprotected sexual activity.

In case of any doubt, blood beta HCG test and USG will be of help.

3. She can safely take the emergency contraceptive pill while she is breastfeeding. It will not have any adverse effects on breast feeding.

As you might be aware that emergency contraceptive pills work best when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sexual activity.
It helps to prevent from getting pregnant in most of the cases.

4. If by chance she is not able to take emergency contraceptive pills then she can opt for insertion of the Intrauterine contraceptive device within 48 hours, this will help to prevent the pregnancy from getting implanted in the Uterine cavity.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T