Can pregnancy happen after having an unprotected sex within 2 days of taking emergency contraception pill?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,I had unprotected sex on 3 Rd day of my period and took emergency pill by 5 the day ..I got spotting within 7 days of taking I pill.after that again I had unprotected sex..my lmp was jan2.i was having cramps yesterday ..but I don't see my period..even if I am pregnant is it safe to continue pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy doesn't seem to be possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns.

Let me assure you that unless you have unprotected sex within your fertile period, you would not get pregnant. In this case, it is definite that the unprotected exposure was not within the fertile period and so you need not worry about pregnancy.

Let me further state that the fertile period is between the 10th and 18th day of your cycle. In other words, unprotected sex in this period can produce the pregnancy. However, in case of the rest of the cycle, even unprotected sex with the release of semen will not give pregnancy.

Having iPill is usually supposed to give you periods (withdrawal bleeding) in 5-7 days as it happened in your case. Regarding the abdominal cramps, it is not a sign of pregnancy and I would insist you to wait and watch.

Since pregnancy is not likely, the question of safety or continuation does not arise.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
My question is after the taking emergency I pill again within 2 days if had sex ...will that cause pregnancy or chances of pregnancy...within fertile period .? If then is it safe ??
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe. Try to understand the physiology

Detailed Answer:
No having sex within 2 days of taking emergency contraception will not make you pregnant. If you have taken emergency contraception, you are likely to get a bleeding in 5-7 days. So the question of a viable pregnancy does not apply. It is therefore safe.

Take care,
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D