Can pre ejaculatory fluid without sexual intercourse lead to pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: My bf and myself did not have an intercourse but he just rubbed against the top portion of vagina. He initially wore condom, but it broke and later had a direct contact with my vagina but did not penetrate. He initially had precum which he wiped it off later. Is there any chances for the precum if it got contact with my vagina and create pregnancy. Its almost 48 hours and I am planning to take i-pill. Already I have irregular periods and small health issues like wheezing and head ache(sinus/migraine). I am currently undergoing ayurvedic treatment for head ache for past one and a half months. Please let me know if I consume i-pill only once, will it cause any problem for my periods/future pregnancy since I have wheezing and head ache. Will I loose my virginity? I am suffering from stress for the past 2 days. Please help me out.

Since there was no penetration and intercourse, will taking i-pill affect my health in any way? Since I am suffering from huge amount of stress, I am going to consume i-pill. Kindly help me soon. I am very much worried.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Without a penetration pregnancy is not possible. The chances of getting a pregnancy from precum without a penetration are less than 0.5%.
You can take I-pill even after 48 hours to rest your mind and to decrease the anxiety.It can cause mild irregularity in the periods and a withdrawal bleeding which becomes alright in 1-2 cycles.
It will not cause any problem in future pregnancy or in conception. It will not cause you to lose the virginity.
Your next cycle will be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from period due date due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Most women get late period after intake of I-pill.
Side effects of Ipill include nausea and vomitings. You might also get a headache, feel tired or dizzy, have some lower abdominal pain, or find your breasts are more tender than usual.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Yesterday(14th july) I have taken i-pill(around 48 hours), so when can I expect the withdrawal bleeding? If I get the withdrawal bleeding, does that mean I am safe or what should I do if I don't get the withdrawal bleeding?

Since the i-pill is not 100% effective, should I opt for any other test? If in case, I was not atall pregnant since it was only precum without penetration, will taking this i-pill have any other side effects due to my existing health issues(wheezing and migraine/sinus head ache) ? I am consuming ayurvedic tablets for these health issues and since I have taken i-pill yesterday, can I continue these tablets today like usual?

Already I have irregular periods cycle, so my usual period cycle is not once in 30 days but its 60 days. I had my last period on July 5th(very less flow and only on that day), so if my periods get delayed should I worry that its my normal cycle or should I suspect pregnancy? Is it very sure that taking i-pill around 48 hours will definitely prevent pregnancy?

Please help me, I am still worried. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Usually withdrawal bleeding is seen after 3-4 days of taking the pill. Withdrawal bleeding does not suggest the absence of pregnancy. You will have to wait for your regular period for that.
Even if there is no withdrawal bleeding there is no need to worry. It can happen in 10% cases.
Any other test for pregnancy can be done only when your periods are overdue. It cannot detect a pregnancy now.
The side effects include- nausea and vomitings. You might also get a headache, feel tired or dizzy, have some lower abdominal pain, or find your breasts are more tender than usual.
You can continue with the ayurvedic tablets as usual.
If the periods are delayed by more than 10 days then it is best to rule out pregnancy by doing a urine for pregnancy test.
The chances of preventing a pregnancy within 48 hours are 95%.
But in your case pregnancy is not likely so you need not worry and wait for your normal periods.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for you help doctor. I have another clarification. Since my regular period cycle is 60 days, should I wait for 2 more months from the date of conception(July 12th) ? You have also mentioned that taking i-pill may cause delayed periods than usual. So is it that I have to wait for at least two and a half months for my next cycle? This long time gap bothers me because I will not know if the delay in periods is due to my regular cycle or due to pregnancy. Kindly clarify me on this.

Also please let me know after how many days should the urine test be done from the date of conception? Can I also go for a beta HCG Test, if yes after how many days should I go for it?

And in general, I would like to know something. Will taking abortion pill cancel the pregnancy and can a person consume abortion pill(once pregnancy is confirmed) even though she has taken i-pill?

Thanks in advance...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for 40-45 days since your last periods.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
You should wait for 40-45 days since your date of last periods to check for pregnancy. Urine pregnancy test comes positive 12-15 days after the date of conception.
Beta HCG levels evaluation is a more sure test to rule out pregnancy.
In case the pregnancy is confirmed you can take the pills for abortion even if you have taken I-pill. Please do not worry. That will not be needed.
Regards.