Can pounding in the ears be related to BP?

Cardiologist
Question
Recently I got an OMRON BP measuring device. I have pounding in my ears when I lay down and go to sleep. Less pounding during the day. My carotids are closing up. I am a 71 year old woman, weigh over 210 lbs, and am 5'8" tall. Yesterday at 12 pm - BP 147/80, pulse 80, at 5:12pm 137/69, pulse 84. My primary physician, Dr. XXXXXXX Benevento advised me to get and use the OMRON. My BP at 3:00 am is 126/79, pulse 73. I'm not due to see Dr. Benevento until January, 2018. Should I take my BP results to him sooner. I am tired of the pounding in my ears when I lay down. I'm sleeping with 2 pillows these days. What do you suggest? XXXXXXX
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your actual blood pressure values are within the normal ranges and are not indicative for any serious medical disorder.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible causes underlying the pound in your ears:

- a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries to examine the blood flow in them
- a brain MRI study with gadolinium enhancement to investigate for any possible brain lesion
- thyroid hormone levels to exclude a possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri