Can polio during childhood cause anaemia?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had polio in my lungs as a baby and spent 9 months in an iron lung. I an 62 and having a real problem with anemia and have been told to go see a hematologist. could this be related in any way
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung problem may not be the cause of anaemia.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

You not not seem to have any symptoms pertaining to the lungs. It is apparent that you have recovered more or less completely from your polio attack. The anaemia problem is not due to the polio that you had as a baby.

Your anaemia could be because of your ulcerative colitis where you may be loosing small amounts of blood continuously which is causing the anaemia.

Do consult a gastroenterologist and haematologist for the correct advice.

Hope this satisfies your query.